Sunday, September 14, 2014

What Is It About Music?

          Music, "the art of the Muses", as is the Greek derivation of the word, is so important to humanity, to life, to the Universe. I confidently believe it always has been and always will be. For me, it's been a method (the best method I've come across I might add) to express my true self, to channel my emotions (both positive and negative), and guide my intensity in a productive way. I love music, in so many ways that it's hard to put all thoughts down in writing. Whether it be jazz, classical, rock, hiphop, afro-cuban, brazilian, Indian, electronic, etc., if there is something unique about it, if there is something that moves my soul, and I feel alive from the musical experience. I feel music has evolved me as a life form. Music has taught me how to be more compassionate, sensitive, aware, and so much more. Music has healed me, mentally, spiritually, and because I primarily play such a physically demanding instrument (drumset), music has kept me in shape physically as well. Whenever I have a bad day or feeling down, if I sit down and play drums for a while, I am transformed into a chilled out, happy person. Whenever I get an interesting electronic sound happening, let alone an entire piece, I get so excited and get overjoyed at the sonic sculpture-making taking place. And processing these sounds, both acoustic and electronic, in interesting ways, I am enthralled in the ear candy that results. I can honestly say music has saved my life, multiple times, in multiple ways. I love how music makes us dance, makes us sing, brings people together - and I think we, as a species, are only beginning to graze the surface of the energy and power music encapsulates.
          This directed study project is an exploration of bringing all of these concepts to a new level. We all know music has the power to heal/improve conditions mentally and spiritually. I feel like I have personally experienced this to the highest degree possible. Above, I also touched on the sense of the physical aspect as well in terms of 'staying in shape' by performing music, which typically exerts a good deal of physical energy, but I truly think music can heal/improve us on a much more fundamental physiological level. There has been tests/experiments done regarding certain frequencies or tones killing cancer cells, with some success, but music, or sound, therapy has yet to be a "go-to" cure for cancer. However, science has proven that music releases dopamine, the "happiness" neurotransmitter. In addition, music has been proven to be able to reduce blood pressure, accelerate post-stroke recovery, relieve anxiety and depression, and boost the immune system, among a slew of other physiological benefits. This project is not a clinical trial/experiment of how different frequencies/tones have physiological benefits, it is my creative/artistic development of gained knowledge along with intuition to produce a new, innovative means of music composition and performance. It is my hope that a biologist or music therapist, will do a clinical trial/experiment with my system, showing that it does, in fact, accelerate cellular development, improve genetic functions, and the like - in this way, I hope to give back to Music what she has given me, saving and improving life.

No comments:

Post a Comment